Earlier this year I told you guys that I wanted to incorporate more lifestyle posts onto the blog — like easy recipes, etc — so I’m here with just that, an easy recipe! I hope you guys enjoy the variety you can find on Beauty With Lily now!
I’ve mentioned several times that I am not much of a breakfast person — I’m not a morning person in general so anything that has to do with getting up even earlier to cook something is a definite no for me. So most of the time I settle for cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt with fruit. But it gets old…fast!
A few weeks ago, my coworker brought some delicious whole grain breakfast cookies and she shared her recipe with me. Before you say, oh no…I don’t bake — you HAVE to give these a try. They are really easy to make, they store really well and are good for you too!
Whole Grain Breakfast Cookies Prep Time | 25 minutes Bake Time | 10 minutes Servings | 18 cookies
1 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup blue agave nectar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Pulse the walnuts in a food processor several times to chop; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, flax meal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
3. Combine the almond butter, canola oil, agave nectar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract in bowl and mix the ingredients well; transfer the almond butter mixture to a large bowl and fold in the dried cherries and chocolate chips. Mix the walnut-oatmeal mixture into the almond butter mixture (dough will be very thick).
4. Scoop up heaping teaspoons of dough, and form into balls; lay the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flatten the cookies with a spatula. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
These may not look super appetizing, but they are delicious, filling and go perfect with coffee! Oh…and they are man approved! #win