I had a completely different post for today, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Since my birthday was yesterday, I decided to have you guys ask me a few questions and I answer them. You all have loved my “get to know me” style posts before and I thought this would be the best way to go.
What made you get into blogging?
- I had just gone from working full-time at a hospital, to being on-call and had a lot of free time on my hands. So after discovering The Small Things Blog and completely diving into the blogging world, I worked up the courage to give it a try myself. It was hard y’all, but it’s been so worth it.
How did you get into makeup?
- I’ve always loved makeup, I enjoyed getting ready and playing with different products. I guess you can say my love for it stems from my mom though, she’s the same way, along with my Godmother. So I grew up around it. Unfortunately, I never really thought I could have a career in the beauty industry (boy was I wrong) and went into the medical field instead.
What’s your first beauty memory?
- Okay, so I have a pretty bad memory to be honest, but one thing I vividly remember is going makeup shopping for the first time with my mom. My mom’s always been a huge Clinique fan and I always loved going with her when she bought new makeup…but when she took me to the Clinique counter to purchase my own makeup, was so exciting. I remember the distinct scent of Clinique Happy and going crazy over lip glosses.
With beauty being one of the main topics on your blog, what’s your other favorite topic to post about?
- That’s a hard one — it’s a toss up between fashion and organization. I love planning and being as organized as possible, so I like to pass my tips and tricks along to everyone else. I’d love to one day share closet and drawer organization — something along those lines.
What is your biggest life regret and your biggest accomplishment?
- I don’t like having regrets per say, but one thing I think about constantly is not taking control of my health and being an advocate for myself. For years I saw doctors in hopes of finding out exactly why we couldn’t conceive and we never got answers. Yes, I may be a nurse, but when you are thrown into a world that you never dreamed would be yours, you become oblivious. I spent years taking birth control “because it would help regulate my cycle” but I never thought about the end goal…having babies! I wish I could go back and get a few of those years back. Perhaps we would have children by now. Now for my biggest accomplishment…
Any infertility updates?
- Unfortunately not. We so desperately wish we could be parents one day, but it just isn’t our time yet. Since my husband had weight loss surgery back in April (and our infertility is male factor) we hope that since loosing weight, things have gotten better in that department. But we haven’t seen any doctors. And speaking of weight loss surgery, you might remember me mentioning it awhile back and saying I was going to have it as well. Guys, it’s been a process! First we had issues with insurance, then my husband changed jobs (better opportunity) and now we are waiting for his new insurance to kick in before we proceed again with my surgery. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. But hopefully if and when this new insurance kicks in, I can get approved fast and get going with this surgery. Please, please say a prayer for us — we have been waiting for this for so long. And we really think that after getting this surgery we will be blessed with children.
How are things going with IVF, are you guys giving it another try?
- If you’ve been around awhile, then you more than likely know that we have undergone several IVF treatments. You can read more about our infertility journey here. Honestly, we don’t know if we will give it another try or not. My last treatment was horrible, I went into ovarian hyperstimulation and it just wasn’t pretty. But to give you a better answer, if by the time I am 30 and we still don’t have children, we will definitely consider IVF again.
Have you and your hubby ever thought about getting another dog?
- Yes! It’s something we talk about all the time, but I think we are going to wait for the right time and the right pup. My husband would love a big dog, like a German Shepard. But I am leaning more towards another rescue — I am a pro adopt, don’t shop.
What are some of your favorite plus-size stores to shop at?
- I love, love, love shopping at Cato Fashions, Old Navy and JCPenney for more affordable options. Lane Bryant, Torrid, and Nordstrom are usually my go-to’s for essentials and less trendier pieces. I don’t like spending a fortune on trends that come and go.
How should booties be worn?
- I think booties go great with anything — dresses, leggings, skinny jeans, rompers! They are so versatile, especially when transitioning from summer to fall.
Would you rather have your own makeup line or fashion brand?
- I love, love, love makeup but I would have to go with a fashion line. There isn’t a huge variety of cute clothing for plus size gals, so I would definitely love to create a fashion line. It would be so much fun!
I miss your YouTube videos, do you plan on bringing them back?
- I miss making them too, but it’s SO much work and time. I never planned on taking this long of a break and I surely don’t plan on quitting. But with everything going on, working full time and pretty much blogging “full time,” my poor channel was pushes to the back burner. I really hope to get back into the groove of things soon. So yes, I plan on bringing them back!
Thank you all for the birthday wishes, they are so appreciated! And thank you to those that sent in questions…we might have to do it again.