Need help in the makeup department? In this makeup 101 post I’m sharing the ultimate guide to bronzer…perfect for anyone just diving into makeup.
This post may contain affiliate links. Meaning that any clicks/purchases may result in a small commission to keeping Beauty With Lily running at no additional cost to you.
Hey there! Welcome back to BWL! Today I am back with another Makeup 101 post…all about bronzers this time. It’s a lengthy one, so lets dive into the ultimate guide to bronzer!
Makeup 101 | Ultimate Guide to Bronzer
What Is a Bronzer?
A bronzer is a type of makeup product that is primarily used to add warmth to the face. Bronzers are typically 1-2 shades darker than your skin color, allowing you to darken specific areas to your face.
Types of Bronzers
You can find bronzers in powder, cream or even stick formulas.
Types of Finishes
Bronzers vary in finishes, you can find matte finishes, baked finishes and even some with a slight shimmer to them.
You Might Also Like // Beauty Rituals To Try
How Is Bronzing Different From Contouring?
You might be thinking, well aren’t both used to darken certain areas of the face. Well…yes, they are, but they are quite different.
Bronzing can create definition but it is primarily used to add warmth, a healthy sunkissed look, if you will, to your face. You achieve this by using a warm toned bronzer.
Contouring creates the illusion of shadows, which can be achieved by using a cool toned matte cream or powder product. This helps define the nose, cheekbones, jawline and forehead.
Now that that has been answered. You might be wondering if you can use a bronzer and still contour. Yes, you totally can. That is up to you. Personally, I prefer to use smidge of bronzer on a daily basis…and leave the contouring for special occasions.
Where Should I Apply Bronzer?
You are going to apply bronzer where you would naturally get that sunkissed glow after a tan. So that includes the cheekbones, sides of the nose, forehead, and temples. You can also take it down your neck, you’ll just want to be extra careful, since you do want it to still match your foundation.
Something to keep in mind before I share some of my personal favorites, is that I am light skinned. So these may not work for you if you are super fair, or darker than I am.
- Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer — Starting off with the most affordable bronzer of the bunch. This is such a good drugstore product. Just like the name says, it’s buttery and so easy to blend. It comes in a variety of shades, so I’m sure you’ll find the perfect one for you.
- Benefit Hoola Matte Bronzer — This has been a LONG time favorite. I’m pretty sure this was the first bronzer I ever tried. This one is a bit lighter in color, so I don’t think it works on everyone. But if you are fair, to medium skin toned. I highly recommend it! This also comes in a cream for, Hoola Cream-to-Powder Stick.
- Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer — Another long time favorite! This not only smells divine, it works SO good! It’s really creamy, so it blends like a dream. And it comes in 3 different shades.
- Urban Decay Beached Bronzer — I have to say, out of all of these…this one might be the best color match for my skin. It’s not too warm, not cool…it’s just right.
- IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Bronzer — This is the perfect bronzer if you have textured skin. The only con to this, it only comes in one shade. So definitely give it a swatch in store, to see if it’s something that will work for you.
Shop This Post
Need help in the makeup department? In this makeup 101 post I'm sharing the ultimate guide to bronzer...perfect for anyone just diving into makeup. Click To Tweet
I hope you found this ultimate guide to setting powder helpful! Below are my previous makeup 101 posts!
- Makeup 101 | Ultimate Guide to Primers
- Makeup 101 | Ultimate Guide to Foundations
- Makeup 101 | Ultimate Guide to Concealers and Correctors
- Makeup 101 | Ultimate Guide to Setting Powder
What is your favorite bronzer?
Enjoyed this post? Please share it on social media and pin this post! I truly appreciate your support!